Old Dominion University: Ready To Become A Data Scientist?
Old Dominion University appears in our ranking of the Top 30 Most Affordable Online Certificates in Business Analytics.
Old Dominion University has lots to offer students who are pursuing a degree in big data. Housed in the Strome College of Business are a generous grouping of data science-related majors, minors, and certificates. Career opportunities in big data are increasing in popularity and demand. At ODU, preparing students for career success in this field is the main goal.
- Marketing Analytics & Research (Marketing B.S.B.A.) – If optimizing marketing strategies for organizations is your dream, a B.S.B.A. in Marketing Analytics & Research is ideal. Students are immersed in a classroom setting that preps them for either an advanced graduate degree in a related field or a fulfilling and engaging career as a marketing professional. Some of the courses offered are web analytics, marketing analytics, and marketing research. Topics such as web traffic and data mining are covered within these courses. Marketing analytics and research courses are available both online and on-campus.
- Business Analytics & Big Data (Graduate Certificate) – Data must be analyzed, and that’s exactly what a Certificate in Business Analytics and Big Data can teach you how to do. It takes special knowledge and skills to assess and understand the importance of analytical details. Learn about predictive analytics as well as data management in an advanced business analytics/big data applications course. Gain new insight into technological methodologies by taking simulation modeling for business systems along with data visualization and exploration. ODU offers this certificate both virtually and in-person.
- Business Analytics B.S.B.A. & Minor – This degree is fully integrated with a combination of analysis and advanced data. Students who select this major will also be taught to utilize their computer skills. Being comfortable with data analysis is what every employer is seeking in their experts, but having additional computer/technology skills is twice as appealing. With courses such as advanced spreadsheet-based data analytics, advanced business analytics/big data applications, and simulation modeling and analysis for business systems being offered within this program of study, making future business decisions will be effortless. Pair a minor in business analytics with any of the other listed data related majors for an abundant package of knowledge and expertise. This major and minor can only be completed on-campus.
- Database Administration (Information Systems & Technology, B.S.B.A.) – This undergraduate course of study prepares students for future careers by combining textbook knowledge with technical skills. This highly competitive market is only accepting the best and the most prepared. ODU focuses on developing career passionate individuals as they delve into the course load. Research conducted within this program is funded by the National Science Foundation. On-campus courses in database administration and cloud databases offer discussion topics such as cloud database design, development, and services. A course in database concepts is a combination of in-person and online studying.
- Mathematics, Big Data Analytics B.S. – Large scale problems need your skills; hone them with a B.S. in Mathematics, Big Data Analytics. Combining mathematics with big data allows for the ability to predict and analyze data. This undergraduate degree offered on-campus will teach students about data handling and machine learning. A hands-on senior project in big data analytics expands on practical big data analytics.
About Old Dominion University
Old Dominion University educates 24,000 students who are all part of a beautiful, urban community in Norfolk, Virginia. Students have access to a multitude of resources from peer mentors to attentive academic advisors. The award-winning faculty at ODU take pride in passing on their years of expertise in professional development and innovation. Staff members have been recognized by the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia. Established in 1930, ODU offers more than 120 undergraduate programs and 130 graduate programs at both the masters and doctoral levels. While many courses require in-person participation, Old Dominion University caters to an online community of students who can pursue all levels of the formal education that ODU provides. Old Dominion University proudly participates in Sea Grant research sponsored by a space-grant. Ranked as the “Best National University” by the U.S. News & World Report, students can rest assured their educational pursuits are in good hands.
Old Dominion University Accreditation Details
Old Dominion University is accredited by SACS, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Colleges in the business sector are accredited by AACSB International, the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. This accreditation is extended to the Strome College of Business.
Old Dominion University Application Requirements
ODU has an application fee of $50 with acceptance decisions being sent out in both early action fashion and regular decision timelines. ODU is mildly selective and has an acceptance rate of 87%. SAT and ACT scores range from 980-1200 and 18-25 for first-year students. Official high school or GED transcripts are mandatory for first-time students. Optional paperwork such as resumes and recommendation letters can be included in initial applications. Transfer students must have a minimum GPA of 2.5. International students can apply with both SAT and ACT scores, but TOEFL is required.
Tuition and Financial Aid
For in-state students, tuition and fees cost $11,212, and out-of-state costs are $30,652 per year. Tuition and fees can also be calculated based on family income. Room and board are priced at $12,708. More than 75% of students apply for need-based financial aid, and roughly 60% of them receive it. Old Dominion University offers undergraduate scholarships, honors college scholarships, university scholarships, and outside agency scholarships. ROTC participants are eligible for financial assistance. Depending on what you choose to study, ODU has awards for distinct programs. Cost per credit for undergraduate students ranges from $325 to $891 with in-state costs being more inexpensive. The same is true for graduate costs per credit which range from $478 to $1,195.
- The John Albert Gay Scholarship Endowment (Education Major)
- The Frank Hill Knecht Memorial Scholarship Endowment (Education Major)
- Virginia Teaching Scholarship Loan Program (Supply & Demand fields)
- ODU CYBER Scholarship (Cybersecurity Education)
- TEACH Grant
- For more, visit The Scholarships Search Page
You’re one step closer to achieving that data scientist dream at Old Dominion University.
- Are Data Science Degrees Expensive?
- How Do I Know if Data Science is a Good Degree Path for Me?
- How Useful is a Data Science Degree?
- 5 Signs of an Innovative Data Science Degree Program
- 20 Best Data Science Bachelor’s Degree Programs
- 30 Best Master’s in Data Science Online Degree Programs